If you run a small business, you may not have the resources to outsource tasks like web design. So, to save costs, you are probably one of those people asking “how to create a website for a small business”. Luckily, it’s not as difficult as most people say.
For small businesses, website builders are both easy to use and capable of producing professional-looking results. And the promise of such pleasing results holds even if you have no prior knowledge of web design. The best part is that many of these resources are surprisingly inexpensive.
Here you will learn the basics of creating a simple website for your small business.
Things to consider when creating a website for your small business
It is impossible to find a one-size-fits-all approach to designing a website. But prioritizing your goals can help you select the right design components and resources to help you get there.
There are a few things you need to figure out before you start designing your website. And they go like this:
- What is your intention for building the website?
- After browsing your site, what do you hope users will do? Do you hope they will make a purchase, visit your store, or contact you for more information?
- What display format do you want your customers to see if you’re selling something?
- Do you need to show your past work in a digital portfolio to potential consumers or clients?
- How much volume can you have?
Considering these strengths will inform the development of your website. So now, let’s get to creating a website for your small business.
Steps to Create a Simple Website
The design and development of a website can begin once its purpose has been defined. You can establish your business’s Internet presence by following these guidelines:
- Select Website Building Platform
Your best bet is an intuitive platform that lets you build a site without learning complicated code. This statement is why we strongly suggest using WordPress.
Some of the main reasons why you should use WordPress are:
- Building a website with it for your small business does not require programming skills or technical knowledge.
- You can download WordPress for free.
- The adaptability of WordPress makes it easy to change the look of your site or add new features.
- Over 40% of all websites use WordPress. TechCabal is a typical example. So you can trust the company with your business information.
- Select a host
There are many great hosting companies that are great for beginners to choose from. We recommend Quigohost for small businesses. Bluehost is another option to consider if you’re in a financial situation to experiment with.
Due to several factors, we suggest Whogohost. For example, the following features are included in its basic hosting plans:
- Customer support is available 24/7
- 6 GB of storage space and 30 GB of bandwidth
- Ten subdomains and two additional domains.
- .NG domain names with free SSL certificates
- Unlimited emails
- Full access to databases
- You’ll join big dogs like GTB, Cool FM and SLOT who also use Whoghohost.
The price for the most basic plan is N1000 per month (This price is subject to change at Whogohost’s discretion). And that’s incredibly low. While this plan is suitable for most small websites, it’s quite simple to expand once you need an upgrade.
- Buy domain and web hosting from Whogohost
To get started, go to Whogohost and click on the “Register an Account” link. Be sure to use your working email address when filling out the form.
To complete your registration, please select the Register button. Next, you need to validate your account by verifying your email.
The next screen after validating your account is your dashboard. Then, from the main menu, select Hosting and Domains >> Order New Hosting and Services;
Next, select a hosting plan. We advise you to opt for Premium or Pro. If you choose the former, you pay N10,000 per year. Meanwhile, the latter costs 15,000 (per year).
Prices for their hosting plans are listed below, from cheapest to most expensive. After choosing the one you want, just click the “Order Now” button.
Enter the name you want to use and choose the extension (.com or .com.ng). Select “Verify” if you want to make sure no one else has claimed it.
If he responds with “Congratulations,” you’re good to go. But if the results are different, you’ll have to think of a new name. A .COM domain name on Whogohost currently costs around N4900 at the time of writing this article.
Once you have completed the above, click on the Next button.
This next phase is crucial. The frequency of your domain and hosting payments, sometimes referred to as a “billing cycle”, is up to you.
Select annual billing if you want the best price. But you can subscribe to the monthly billing cycle if you don’t have all the money.
Now you need to complete the last step of this process and pay for your hosting. Currently, you need to select the “payment button”.
Payment options will be made available to you. Choose the one that suits you best and complete the payment.
So. You just got a domain name and hosting purchase with Whogohost.
- Configure WordPress
Now here is how to configure WordPress on your Whogohost account.
At this point, access your Whogohost account with your username and password. When you access your dashboard, look for the Cpanel icon.
As shown in the image below, you can access WordPress by clicking the link directly under the Softaculous Apps Installer.
- Install WordPress
You have to be very careful at this stage. The next page will ask you to choose the domain to install your WordPress website.
You can choose one of the following formats:
- Without www – techcabal.com
- With www – www.techcabal.com
You may not need the “www”. Excluding it doesn’t mean your domain name won’t load. In fact, it makes your website accessible faster.
Here are some other changes you may need to make:
- Administrator username: Please don’t be tempted to leave it as “Admin”. This warning is to make sure you don’t get hacked. So change it up, but make sure it’s something you’ll remember easily.
- Administrator email address: Enter your work email address.
- name of the site: Enter the name you want on your site.
- Password: Make your password difficult for others to decipher but easy for you to remember.
After completing the above, select the terms and conditions box and click the “install” icon.
In about a minute, your WordPress blog setup should be complete. Then you should see the confirmation appear on your screen.
Then use the login credentials you just created and log in to your new WordPress to start making changes.
In WordPress, there are several themes to explore as a new user. You can access the free ones from your dashboard. Just go to Appearance > Themes.
You will be able to change the theme you choose immediately after installation. So there you have it, your small business website is up and running.
You will also receive your WordPress installation details via email.
Final Thoughts on How to Build a Small Business Website
Both WordPress and Whogohost are inexpensive and great ways for you to build a website for your small business.