Picking a name for your Fortnite account can be tricky. We could also step out of the ones we originally picked a few years ago and want something a little more serious. Anyway, especially with online games, we’d like to update our screen names from time to time. Here is a nifty guide to help you change your username in Fortnite.
How to change your username in Fortnite
This method works if you primarily play on PC, mobile, or Nintendo Switch.
- First, make sure your primary account is on the aforementioned consoles.
- Next, head over to the official Epic Games website (it doesn’t matter if you’re on the Fortnite page).
- Log in with your credentials (email, platform account link).
- Then, hover over your username in the top right. On mobile devices, just click on your name. A drop-down menu will appear. Click on ‘Account’.
- On the Personal Details page (this is where you clicked “Account”), go to the General tab.
- From there, you can change your display name by clicking the blue pencil button. A popup will appear telling you that you cannot change your name for 2 weeks after doing this.
- Set your new display name and retype it to confirm.
Now you are ready!
How to change your Fortnite username on Xbox
Since your gamer name is connected to your Gamer Tag, the only way to change your name is to change it manually on your console or through your Microsoft account via a web browser.
- On your dashboard, click on your profile picture in the top left to bring up a menu.
- Click on ‘My profile’.
- In this menu, click on ‘Customize profile’.
- Hover over your Gamer Tag and select it. Your first name change will be free on a Series console. You may have to pay if you want to change it again in the future.
- Then just change your name using the on-screen keyboard and confirm it.
If you’re thinking of changing your name on a web browser, here’s what you need to do.
- Go to the official Xbox website and sign in.
- Click on your Gamer Tag or your profile picture and click on “Xbox Profile”.
- Click on ‘Customise’.
- On the Customize Profile page, you’ll see a pencil icon indicating that you can change your Gamer Tag.
- You will be taken to a box where you can enter your name.
- Once the availability checker passed, you can now successfully change your Tag!
How to Change Your Fortnite Username on PlayStation
Like Xbox, your in-game name is tied to your PSN ID. You can only change it if you change it although your Epic Games account has another one.
- In the main menu of your dashboard, go to the top right to find the “Settings” option. Click on it.
- Next, click on Account Management (Users and Accounts if you’re on PS5).
- From this menu, select Account Information (Account if on PS5).
- Find the “Profile” option and select it.
- Select the option for your online ID.
- A user agreement page will appear telling you that you may lose some functionality, ownership, or even progress of older titles in your PS4, PS3, and Vita libraries.
- If you wish to continue, click on “I accept”.
- Enter your new PSN ID and confirm it when done.
If you plan to change your PSN ID on a browser, follow these steps.
- Head over to the PlayStation website and sign in at the top right corner.
- Next, click on your profile picture to bring up a menu.
- Click on “Account Settings”.
- On this page, click on “Profile”. You will need to re-enter your login credentials.
- On this page, you can change your username, real name, profile picture, etc. Specifically, opt for Online ID.
- You will receive the same user agreement regarding the possibility of losing features, ownership and progression of older PlayStation games. If you wish to continue, click on “I accept”.
- Finally, enter your new PSN ID and voila!
As far as that goes, changing your user IDs on consoles won’t cause you to lose skins, V-Bucks, or any kind of data for Fortnite.
Fortnite is free on PlayStation 4 and 5, Xbox One and Series consoles, Nintendo Switch, PC via Epic Games and mobile devices.